jump to content

Icelandic Health Insurance

Healthcare is subsidized in Iceland, and residents are automatically covered by Icelandic Health Insurance (Sjúkratryggingar Íslands). The Icelandic Health Insurance system automatically covers everyone who has legally resided in Iceland for six months.

Suppose you are a citizen of a country that is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and registered in that system. In that case, you can apply for the switch between insurance systems to take effect once your legal residence has been registered in Iceland. You may apply for this at Icelandic Health Insurance

You may be able to apply for insurance in advance in your home country. Bring forms E-104 or S041 from the country you are moving away from to prove that you were insured there less than two months before registering your domicile in Iceland. Icelandic Health Insurance may request it if your country does not provide these forms to individuals.

If you are not a European citizen, you must purchase supplemental insurance for six months before becoming part of the healthcare system. If you are moving to Iceland from a Nordic country, you can apply for Icelandic Health Insurance when your legal residence is registered in Iceland.

Temporary insurance providers

The insurance providers listed above have websites and information in English, except Vörður, who can certainly answer any questions in English

Here is a list of foreign insurance companies authorized to provide services in Iceland.

Here is a list of all the Icelandic insurance companies.

Maximum amounts per month

Once registered in the system, the maximum amount you will pay for healthcare in one month is ISK 25,100 as an adult or ISK 16,700 as a child or pensioner. If you continue to need healthcare, the maximum amount you will pay per month will be ISK 4,183 or ISK 2,783 for retirees and children. The deductible applies to doctor's appointments, physiotherapy, CT scans, MRI scans, operations, etc.

Pregnant women do not pay for healthcare during their pregnancy. The only exception is the 12-week ultrasound, which is optional. Otherwise, there is no charge for meeting midwives or doctors, the 20-week ultrasound, or delivery.

The maximum monthly amount for prescription medications is ISK 22,000 or ISK 14,500 for children and retirees. After that, the minimum amount is ISK 4,000 per month, and Icelandic Health Insurance will pay the difference.

Dental care

Icelandic Health Insurance does not cover dental care. Dental care for children under 18 is free of charge. Adults pay according to the dentist's pricelist. Pensioners pay 50% of the total price if the dentist is a provider with a contract with Icelandic Health Insurance. You can find your local dentist here

Where to seek healthcare in Iceland

Please refer to your closest Health Care Center (Heilsugæsla) if you feel sick, but it is not an emergencyRequest an appointment with a doctor, and that doctor will refer you to a specialist if necessary. Best to call early to book an appointment or do so online via Heilsuvera.is if you have an electronic ID (rafræn skilríki) and are already part of the healthcare system. This site is only available in Icelandic.


In case of emergency, call the National Emergency number: 112. If necessary, they will send an ambulance. 

Suppose you do not need an ambulance, are in Reykjavik vicinity, and have an urgent medical problem. In that case, you can go straight to the emergency room (Bráðamóttaka) at Landspitali University Hospital in Fossvogur. It is open 24 hours a day. Telephone +354-525-1700.

In case of the severe illness of a child, the emergency department at the Children's Hospital (Barnaspítali) at Landspítali. If a child has a medical emergency unrelated to illness, take them to the emergency room at Fossvogur. Telephone +354 543 1000.

Bring along your ID, such as your passport, driver's license, or European Health Insurance Card (E-111), or if you have Icelandic Health Insurance, be sure to know your personal ID (kennitala).

Temporary work

If you work in Iceland with a temporary permit (less than 12 months) for a foreign company and use your resident country's insurance during your stay, apply for the A1 certificate in your home country. Bring your A1 certificate to prove that you are insured during your stay in Iceland. Some countries do not provide an A1 certificate in advance, so you may have to apply for Icelandic Health Insurance once you arrive in Iceland. 

While applying for an A1 certificate, apply for an S1 certificate, and register at Icelandic Health Insurance when you arrive in Iceland. If family members are moving with you, ask whether your insurance will cover them. Otherwise, you will need to bring your European health insurance card issued by your home country to Iceland.

Traveling within Europe

The European Health Insurance Card (E-111) will entitle you to the same fees as locals pay for healthcare within the EEA. You can apply for it through Icelandic Health Insurance. 

If you are not insured

Please see the Landspitali – The National University Hospital of Iceland and the Practical information section for the current price list of services without insurance, contact information, and places to go for medical care.