Health Insurance

Icelandic health insurance

Healthcare is subsidized in Iceland, and residents are automatically covered by the Icelandic Health Insurance (Sjúkratryggingar Íslands). Everyone that has legally resided in Iceland for six months is automatically covered by the Icelandic Health Insurance system. If you are a citizen of a country that is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and registered in that system, you can apply for the switch between insurance systems to take effect once your legal residence has been registered in Iceland. You may apply for this at Icelandic Health Insurance

You may be able to apply for insurance in advance in your home country. Bring forms E-104 or S041 from the country you are moving away from to prove that you were insured there less than two months before you registered your domicile in Iceland. If your country does not hand out these forms to individuals, Icelandic Health Insurance can request it.

If you are not a European citizen, you will have to purchase supplemental insurance for the duration of the six months before becoming part of the healthcare system. If you are moving to Iceland from a Nordic country, you can apply for Icelandic Health Insurance on the day your legal residence was registered in Iceland.

Temporary insurance providers





The insurance providers listed above have websites and information in English, except Vörður, who can certainly answer any questions in English

Here is a list of foreign insurance companies that are authorized to provide services in Iceland.

Here is a list of all the Icelandic insurance companies.

Maximum amounts per month

Once registered in the system, the maximum amount you will pay for healthcare in one month is ISK 25,100 as an adult or ISK 16,700 as a child or pensioner. If you continue to need healthcare, the maximum amount you will pay per month will be ISK 4,183 or ISK 2,783 for retirees and children. This applies to doctor's appointments, physiotherapy, CT scans, MRI scans, operations, and more.

Pregnant women do not pay for healthcare during their pregnancy. The only exception is the 12-week ultrasound that is optional. Otherwise, there is no charge for meeting midwives or doctors, the 20-week ultrasound, or delivery.

For prescription medications, the maximum amount per month is ISK 22,000 or ISK 14,500 for children and retirees. The minimum amount after that is ISK 4,000 per month, and Icelandic Health Insurance will pay the difference.

Dental care

Dental care is not covered by Icelandic Health Insurance. Dental care for children under 18 is free of charge. Adults pay according to the dentist's pricelist. Pensioners pay 50% of the full price if the dentist is a provider with the contract with the Icelandic Health Insurance. You can find your local dentist here

Where to seek healthcare in Iceland

If you are feeling sick, but it is not an emergency, please refer to your closest Health Care Center(Heilsugæsla). Request an appointment with a doctor, and that doctor will refer you to a specialist if necessary. Best to call early to book an appointment or do so online via if you have an electronic ID (rafræn skilríki) and are already part of the healthcare system. This site is only available in Icelandic.


In case of emergency, call the National Emergency number: 112 If necessary, they will send an ambulance. 

If you do not need an ambulance and are in Reykjavik vicinity and have an urgent medical problem, you can go straight to the emergency room (Bráðamóttaka) at Landspitali University Hospital in Fossvogur. It is open 24 hours a day. Telephone +354-525-1700.

In case of the severe illness of a child, the emergency department at the Children's Hospital (Barnaspítali) at Landspítali. If a child has a medical emergency that is not related to illness, take them to the emergency room at Fossvogur. Telephone +354 543 1000.

Bring along ID such as your passport, driver's license, your European Health Insurance Card (E-111), or if you have Icelandic Health Insurance, be sure to know your personal ID (kennitala).

Temporary work

If you work in Iceland with a temporary permit (less than 12 months) for a foreign company and use your resident country's insurance during your stay, apply for the A1 certificate in your home country. Bring your A1 certificate with you to prove that you are insured during your stay in Iceland. Some countries do not provide an A1 certificate in advance, so you may have to apply at Icelandic Health Insurance once you arrive in Iceland. 

While applying for an A1 certificate, also apply for an S1 certificate, and register at Icelandic Healthcare Insurance when you arrive in Iceland. If family members are moving with you, ask whether they will also be covered by your insurance. Otherwise, you will each need to bring your European health insurance card issued by your home country to Iceland.

Traveling within Europe

The European Health Insurance Card (E-111) will entitle you to the same fees as locals pay for healthcare within the EEA. You can apply for it through Icelandic Health Insurance

If you are not insured

Here is a list of prices and places to go for medical care for those without insurance in Reykjavík.